Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy Fourth!


Ethan and Dada get out their drills to hang a picture

Ethan is taking notes on how his big cousins play on the rocks

Snack break

Helping set up our tent

Ethan's favorite beach activity

I'm not sure who was having more fun playing in the sand!

Taking a walk around our campsite- Ethan collected rocks and put them in his "pocky"

Taking in the views

"Are we really going to sleep out here?"

Mama and Ethan

This is one of my favorite shots
No camping trip would be complete without a Tonka flashlight!


Waking up in our tent

Breakfast

Back home, Ethan gets to work shucking corn
We had a wonderful holiday weekend.  My cousin Missy and her boyfriend Chris visited from New York and we had a party on Sunday with all of my siblings and my cousin who lives up this way. Monday we all headed to Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth to cookout.  It seems that, slowly but surely, we have more and more family living in the area which makes getting together so much fun.  Ethan got to spend time with his aunts, uncles, and cousins, and my cousins.  He had a blast!

We took Ethan to see the fireworks on the fourth.  We weren't sure how he would react to the loud booming.  I held him tightly in my arms when the first fireworks went off.  He looked up and sort of smiled for a few minutes and then said, "home."  All of the activity from the weekend was too much and the poor kid just wanted to go home and go to sleep!  We watched the fireworks as we walked back to the car- maybe next year he'll be more impressed!

On Tuesday Pete, Ethan, and I camped at a local park.  We weren't sure how Ethan would do with sleeping in the tent, so being close to home provided a little safety net just in case our evening didn't go as planned!  But, Ethan was a rock star!  He was so excited about everything.  He "helped" set up the tent, he loved running all around the campsite, and was a master collector of kindling and rocks when we went for walks.  He loved crawling around in the tent and snuggling amongst all of the blankets and pillows.  He was really great about staying clear of the campfire.  He would look at it from a distance and tell us that it was "hot", then proceed to blow on it to help cool it off! 

After all of the excitement and activity of camping, Ethan slept better than ever.  I'm not sure I've ever heard him snore so loudly!    When we woke up the next morning Ethan just kept looking around saying, "tent" and "camping." We are so happy to report that we have a little camper and we will be spending plenty of nights in our tent this summer!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to hear him say that he's put something in his "pocky"!

And I thought him telling me that walking on the rocks was "slippy" was cute!

Andrea said...

I loved the photo of Ethan looking up at the sky and I also loved the one of him inside of the tent in the morning. Your site looks absolutely beautiful! Ethan is such a little man and has so many words! - we can't wait to see you! I think this calls for a Yarusavage / Gendron camping trip!

Laura said...

Yarusavage/Gendron camping trip would be so much fun! Let's make a plan!