Friday, February 19, 2010

6 Months Old!

Already a Chili Peppers fan!

Ethan and Daddy

Valentine's Day pizza slices with Mama in Portland


Sam and Ethan hanging out in Portsmouth

Teething!

Best friends

Sitting up!



Ethan will be six months old on Monday. I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone by. I can hardly remember what life was like before Ethan arrived. He brings us so much joy every day. Pete and I are constantly amazed at how intensely we love this little baby and how that love grows stronger and stronger every day.

As a nearly six month old, Ethan continues to grow and develop by leaps and bounds. Our newest adventure this week is the discovery of a little tooth coming through his bottom gums. This has made for a very exhausting week for both Mama and baby. I could tell something was up Monday morning when Ethan had slept poorly the night before and was just generally crabby! I peeked in his mouth (though he HATES this!) and discovered the beginnings of his first tooth! Needless to say, sleep has been difficult, with Ethan waking every couple of hours throughout the night with discomfort. This too shall pass, and I am reminding myself, though very sleep deprived, that someday I will miss these nights with my baby boy.

We are continuing to work on sitting up and Ethan is getting stronger and stronger. I can sit him up and put his Boppy pillow behind him (for a soft landing if he topples) and he plays independently in this position. In another week or two, I think he'll be fully independent. Pretty cool!

As Ethan gets older, he is beginning to be able entertain himself more easily. Up until now, in order for me to shower, I'd lay Ethan on a blanket on the bathroom floor and race through my routine. Last week, I peeked out at him and discovered that he had scooted himself over to the toilet and was investigating the bottom of the toilet bowl! Needless to say, his days of floor duty were over. I have been pleasantly surprised at how content Ethan is to lay in his crib, watch his mobile, chatter to himself and play with his toys while I shower. Of course, at this point his crib is strictly for entertainment and NOT sleep!!

Today Ethan and I traveled to Portsmouth to meet my friend Andrea and her son Sam for lunch. Andrea and I were discussing how challenging being out and about with babies can be. Each of us had brought along our "bag of tricks" loaded with toys and fun things to chew on in hopes of occupying our sons during the meal. Ethan was not at all impressed with any of my tricks. So, I picked him up. As I took my first bite, Ethan grabbed my full water glass and dumped it all over my lap! All I could do was laugh! Ahh! Parenthood!!!

Even with the sleepless nights, the wet laps, and the interrupted meals, we are so thankful Ethan has entered our lives. What an incredible six months it has been!

2 comments:

Olivia Sage said...

Laura, I really enjoyed reading about Ethan's changes. I think you will love having this blog to look back on a year from now. He's so sweet. Nice to see the picture of him and Sam together! I'm sure they'll grow up to be great friends! Love, Karen

Andrea said...

First of all, I absolutely love the picture of Ethan and Pete - they are so much alike it's amazing! Secondly, the story about Ethan and the toilet bowl made me laugh out loud! He is so funny. We had so much fun with you guys in Portsmouth - the photo of the two of them is priceless.